Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Avocado Egg Salad


I guess you could say we have a bit of an egg surplus going on here.
Which makes it only natural that I should start eating them for lunch in addition to breakfast.
Plus, it feels very good feeding our eggs to Bob -- I mean, it's the incredible edible egg, right?  Perfect, untouched, pure food.  Straight from the chicken's butt -- fresh as fresh gets.

So I searched for a delicious-sounding egg salad recipe.  Honestly I associate egg salad sandwiches with kindergarten when my mom packed my lunch, and I don't exactly remember the taste fondly.  Thus the need for a really special egg salad.

And I found it.  Well, I found a version that used avocados and I improvised the rest.  And it's GOOD.  Last time I made it I found myself craving lunch all day long.

(And by the way, Mom and Big Gram, this would be great to make for Gram: lots of protein and good fats.)

AVOCADO EGG SALAD

6 eggs, hard boiled* and cooled and shells removed
1 avocado (or you could use two if you like)
1/4 cup sweet pickles  (I used Grandma Kay's version of Gram's homemade pickles -- simply delicious)
1 tablespoon mustard of your choice (I used a three pepper mustard that is just amazing)
1/3 cup mayonaise
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Chop the eggs, avocado, and pickles.  (Some people probably just mash the eggs and avocado, but I like a chunkier consistency.)


2.  Mix everything together.


3.  Put it on some rye bread, slice some cheddar cheese and put that on there too, and EAT.

A perfect lunch for Bob!


* I had to look up how to boil an egg.  This is what I found as the "proper" way:  Put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover for 10 minutes (my jumbo eggs could have used 15).  Transfer the eggs to cold water again for a few minutes, then peel.

A double-yolker!  I love these!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone likes comments. Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...